Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Your Song

I am taking a journey of discovery and healing this month.   Today I have had another ah ha moment.

I am a firm believer that there are no coincidences and that all things both happen for a reason and work together for good to them that love God...  So it shouldn't amaze me that somehow I chanced upon The Actor's Studio interview with Elton John.   Because listening to that program has taken me one more step into the realm of forgiveness and pardon. 

It's a great interview which includes Elton John playing Your Song, a song that always reminds me of my sister.  I used to visit her a lot her freshman year at UCLA.   One visit in particular came flooding back to me.  I have been awfully angry about something that was done to me years ago.  And while listening to this beautiful song, I realized I actually did the same thing to someone else.  There's no way I can apologize for my misdeed.  But what I can do is recognize I didn't do it to hurt another.  I was just very young and thought-less.  And if I had no evil intent, perhaps the person who hurt me didn't either.  If I am willing to forgive myself for messing up, I need to forgive the individual who hurt me. 

Step by step I am undoing the things I have let stop me fully expressing myself.  I'm kinda amazed.  But it doesn't amaze me that the keys to healing should come via music.  That is the most natural thing in the world.  


No comments: