Monday, August 5, 2013

Stuff

I think about "stuff" a lot.  I have too much.  I know it would be so good to get rid of most of it.  To that end, I sell at flea markets twice a week.  And I give stuff away to the Salvation Army & the local swap shop.  But the pile of stuff never seems to get any smaller. And I often have this idea that if I were to pack it all up, call Goodwill or Salvation Army to come haul it away, I would be so much better off.   My kids are coming to visit at the end of the week and it brings it all to the fore.  They can see clearly how much this impacts me.  It may not be the thing that is making me stuck, but it doesn't help.

So I share with you this bit from Firesign Theatre, the last line pretty much sums up my conflicting views.

Announcer: "So here's your last deal Ms. Presky -- now, which would would you rather do? Hit this dude over the head with a bag of sugar ...or beat out that rhythm on the drums..."
Mrs. Presky: "Er....ahhhhh....I'll take the bag."
Announcer: "You mean you're gonna trade this four foot cube of 18 carat Swiss Bouillon and the steak knives, Mrs. Presky, all for that little bag ???"
Mrs. Presky: "Yes!"
Announcer: "Well alllllright!! Open it up!!"
Mrs. Presky: "Why. . why . . this is a bag of shit!"
Announcer: "But it's really GREAT shit, Mrs Presky."

-- Firesign Theatre, Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers.


No comments: