Friday, February 13, 2009

Home Alone

I have the house all to myself. My husband, hereafter referred to as DH (dear or darling or dang husband as the case may be) is off at work. My son, hereafter referred to as ERR (eldest rug-rat) is in Yosemite camping and hiking and having a good time (I hope). My daughter, hereafter referred to as YRR (youngest rug-rat) is away at school/college. (There is no middle rug-rat) The house is mine. . . mwahahaha.

I have no plans to trash the place (cleaning would actually be something someone might notice, it's already pretty trashed), it's just amazingly wonderful to be here by myself. I can spend the whole day doing nothing, I can be productive. I can wander over to the barn/shop/studio and work or putter or listen to NPR. I can sit in the great room and revel in the amazing southern light that streams in the oversize front window.

There is just something freeing about knowing no one will interupt me, that I don't have to fix any meals or apologize for anything. I seem to feel the need to apologize a lot and it's nice to know there is no one here to apologize to, so I can save my breath and my worry.

A really good friend, a woman I've known since high school, was relaying a story about being alone. She's never married and doesn't live with anyone and may never. And someone asked her if she was ever lonely. She relayed this to me and I knew instantly that her answer would be: emphatically NO. She has so many resources, inner resources, that loneliness just never occurs to her.

Being alone has always been a cool thing to me. There are so many things I can do or think about. I get lonely sometimes, but never when I am alone. So I'm looking forward to a peaceful day and I will think about my friend. And tomorrow when the house is full again, I will be grateful for the people I love and grateful they leave me alone sometimes!

No comments: