Saturday, August 29, 2009

More Tales of Cheap Travel

I went to New York recently. I was all set with my reservations on Amtrak. Then my neighbor asked if I had heard about Bolt Bus Line. They have a $15 or $20 one way fare.

I know what it was like the last time my friend and I were in Manhattan together. We did fabulous things, ate a wonderful restaurants and spent oodles of money.

So I checked out Bolt on the web. Bolt wasn't available, but the Fung Wah bus was. It's $15 one-way from Chinatown to Chinatown. This was good and they are very flexible about reservations.

I didn't sleep well the night before I left. I stayed at my daughter's new apartment -- on a camping mat on the floor. It could have been the "bed," the unfamiliar surrounding or the worry I would miss my bus, but I was awake the next morning at 5 am.

I arrived at the bus terminal at 6:25 and they asked if I wanted to get on the 6:30 bus. Sure, why not? Perhaps I should have asked how many seats were still available.

Turns out 1 seat was available.

In the back row.

Between 2 really large men. They both probably played football in high school.

They were pleasant enough. The guy on the left slept the whole way, while being blasted by music on his iPod. I'm sure it was blasting his eardrums since I could hear it. The guy on the right didn't speak to me either. I sat upright, read a magazine, and vowed to get there early for the return trip.

Besides the obvious financial benefit of this mode of transportation, the 6:30 am bus to NY took only 3 1/2 hours to get there.

I was early for the return trip. Didn't matter. I got a window seat. Ooh, maybe I would have the whole seat to myself? Nah, to make any money Fung Wah has to fill every seat! A woman, not particularly large, sat down next to me and proceeded to take up all her seat and part of mine.

Earlier in the summer I camped at a KOA after dropping my daughter at summer camp. Again, I chose these acomodations for the savings. The camp site was pretty. It included water, electricity, and wireless internet. There was a swimming pool and showers and a bathroom (tho not near my tent site). I slept in the van and it wasn't uncomfortable.

Tent camping was ok, the bus was ok. I don't know if I'll do either again. I think the train is an easier trip. I know a motel is an easier night. It was fun starting out on both these adventures! They reminded me of some of the crazy travel I did in college. Maybe its time for traveling in style to be my next adventure.

2 comments:

Susan said...

I've always wondered about those buses! You can't beat the deal.

Unknown said...

And, the bottom line is, that you wanted to do it, and you did it. And, saving on the transport cost leaves you more money for the trip itself!

I am off to Washington, DC in a few weeks for the National Equality March. I was going to drive myself, which would have meant hotel, gas, etc. Instead, I found a local group who is sponsoring a bus to get there for $50; it will take us just as long as if I drove, and I won't have to be the driver!!!