Friday, June 12, 2009

Road Trip

I'm going to be away next week.

My daughter returns from her 3 week Central European mini-Abroad, only to jump right into her summer job as Waterfront Director at a cool co-ed camp. She & her brother went to this camp together as kids. They each did the LT (leadership training) and CIT (counselor in training) programs and were counselors.

I met my husband at summer camp when we were counselors, and as a teen, I spent 2 glorious summers on Catalina Island at Girl Scout camp. Summer camps hold a special place in my heart!

My daughter could take a plane to camp. I don't really need to drive her, but I want to. I'm hoping she will talk about her trip. Driving in the car together, if she's not bummed about stuff, is one of those great places she opens up and shares what she's doing or thinking. (The local CPK near her college is another. Good thing I like the food!) Of course, she may sleep after the long flight.

My other ulterior motive is to do a bit of antiquing. I mean, as long as I'm there. . . I'm familiar with the area and there's one antique mall which usually takes me all day to peruse. I'm slow, I admit. I know folks who can walk in and zero in on the things they want. Not me. This mall also has a really good little cafe, so I can stop for lunch without leaving the premises. I'm sure they planned it that way!

I'm trying to do this trip on the cheap. I'm even considering car camping in my van. I don't expect to have internet. So I'll see you all when I return.

3 comments:

Susan said...

have fun! you'll be missed.

Leslie said...

Have a lovely time!

Unknown said...

I am excited to read about your adventuring. I hope you enjoyed it!