Sunday, May 17, 2009

No Harm, No Foul!

Did you hear the one about the crazy (lady) driver who backed over a boulder and dragged it 20 feet across the credit union's parking lot?

No? Well, if you lived here I bet you would have by now!

When the AAA driver arrived he looked at what I had done and said, "Don't tell me your name. I want to be able to tell this story and not embarrass you."

Most of the time people completely ignore me in this bastion of New England reticence. I try to talk to them in public places, they look at me as tho something is seriously wrong with me. So when something happens and I don't want to talk with anyone, they all come out of the woodwork. Those coming into the credit union stopped and looked. I think some people actually came into the parking lot just to find out what happened!

Apparently these boulders are hit and nicked all the time. I was told many times of how drivers had hit the rock trying to get around this miserable parking lot. (I thought it was miserable before this). I think maybe I did a public service. The boulders have now been removed from that corner!

The AAA guy had to jack up my van. Then he had to figure a way to get the boulder out from under the car. This piece of rock was 3 feet wide, tall enough to get completely wedged under my van and easily 100 lbs, maybe more! It had rained earlier and the pavement was wet.

We had help (not that the AAA guy let me do anything) from a burly guy named Joe, wearing a Harley jacket, a long chain holding his keys. He was pretty happy to help. The AAA guy not so much. By the time they had gotten this boulder out from under my car, I don't think the AAA guy cared a whit about embarrassing me. He was just glad to get out of there! I'm gonna send thank you cards. The credit union will give it to Joe and I know where the AAA garage is located. I'm just not gonna sign my name.


in case you wanted to know how the car fared -- I drove immediately to the Toyota dealership, less than a mile away. They got the car up on the lift and well, lets just say I live a charmed life! The gas tank was unharmed. The rear axle was unharmed. My rear brakes were shot, but the boulder wasn't responsible. They had time to fix the brakes and do a much-needed service. Maybe I'll add that happy news in my thank you notes!

5 comments:

Leslie said...

If I laugh, can I laugh WITH you, not AT you?

Tiny Dancer said...

You can laugh all you want Laggin! Once I found I had not damaged my car, even I laughed!!!

Unknown said...

I won't laugh, but will indeed think that it could have easily been me, with some of the stuff like that I have done!!!! I am glad your vehicle was okay!!!!

Tiny Dancer said...

Oh go ahead and laugh Vanessa! It was some seriously lame driving!

Susan said...

Aw man, I miss all the cool stuff! Next time you make a public spectacle of yourself, please call.
xxoo