Saturday, April 25, 2009

Volunteering

Sometimes you volunteer to do stuff and you just get overwhelmed. And then sometimes you volunteer and get given a gift you never could have expected. That is how my week has been.

I have done a LOT of volunteering in my life! Right now, with my church, I am in volunteer burn-out. I do a lot and I thought it was ok. But today as I was making a sign for a talk we are giving, it hit me -- I am doing way too much for them.

Years ago I did the est training and volunteered with them for a while. One of their rules was you had to get more out of volunteering than you put in. I love that philosophy. How useful is a volunteer who resents it? Who wants to be a volunteer who is resentful?

So, when a friend was going out of town this week and asked me to look in on a relative of hers, I said yes. On the one hand it's my usual of always saying yes. On the other, she's my friend. She needed my help. And she would do the same for me.

As I was helping her relative with breakfast, we talked. I told stories of my life and she told stories of hers. I even asked her if she minded my stories. My daughter thinks I tell too many stories and I had been thinking of my daughter as we talked.

Instead of minding the stories, she said the most profound thing. She said, "Your stories are like melodies. You like telling them and hearing them again because the stories, like melodies are pretty and have appeal." I have never thought of my stories as songs or melodies.

And unlike my daughter's attitude that telling stories more than once is just wrong, my friend's relative had another take. It is that hearing or telling a story once makes it complete. But like a pretty song, telling it or hearing it again gives one the experience of when you heard it for the first time. Which obviously is good or you wouldn't repeat it!

And just writing it here takes me back a few days to the sunny dining room and feeling completely gotten and appreciated. It cancels out the feeling of burn-out I had when I sat down to post. It's a wonderful story to tell and I will probably tell it again. Just not to my daughter!

4 comments:

Leslie said...

I like your stories!

Susan said...

Thank you so much for this. It's like the whipped cream, the chocolate sprinkles AND the cherry on top.

xxoo

Unknown said...

What a terrific way to look at the stories of our lives! And, the gift that you needed to be given, and receive, in regard to the time you spend volunteering. What wisdom was gained, and I am so happy for you!!

Tiny Dancer said...

You three are the best! I think you're my only readers, but who needs anyone else?

Thanks for your wonderful comments. I will continue to tell stories, of course!