Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Kids and the Weather

Kids may be a little like New England weather. Don't like it, wait 10 minutes, it will change. And that's what's happened. I got a phone message from my daughter yesterday. The paper she has stressed out about, the one she was going to quit college over, she got a 95. And lots of positive comments from the professor. The feeling she would never be able to study abroad while an undergraduate, was dealt with today when she was accepted in a 4 week mini-abroad to Eastern Europe. I can let go for now.

My son called every night on his drive to Yosemite. He was letting me hold on just a bit. He discovered he could drive 12 hour days. There's family precedent on my DH's side and it worried me a bit that ERR would drive himself off an overpass. He didn't. His accommodations seemed even odder than my forays into cheap motels. When he told me he thought he might stay at a nicer place the next night, some place like Motel 6, I hesitated to ask where he had been staying. I guess Motel 6 seems a big step up from places that rent for $24 a night!

I haven't heard from him since he started the job. (No cell phone, limited internet access, I hope he hasn't been eaten by bears). But the morning he was driving into the park to check in, he told me, "Mom, I don't know why I took this job. But I know why I drove out here. The desert is an amazing place."

I do not know if I will ever not worry about my kids. But this week has reminded me that there's an equilibrium and when things have been stormy for them, pretty soon, like the weather, it changes to sunny skies.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

"Mom, I don't know why I took this job. But I know why I drove out here. The desert is an amazing place."

Now, that is profound. Even with your worries, I think he is on his right path.

Rock on, girl!