Thursday, April 15, 2010

"It's Not Rocket Science"

I get such a kick out of that phrase. Someone said it to me the other day and it made me smile.

You see, I was raised by a rocket scientist. My dad, a mechanical engineer, worked for a NASA contractor. He was the project manager and part of the team which designed one of the Apollo engines.

Whenever I hear that phrase I think, ". . . rocket science isn't such a big deal." It's not that my dad isn't smart. He is. But he always made me feel I was just as smart as he was. It's kind of one of the neatest things about my dad. And my dad didn't think he was the smartest man. There were always others (electrical engineers as a group, for instance) who he thought were smarter.

His humility about his own intelligence is one of the nicest things about my dad. His intellectual curiosity and kindness are what make him one of the smarted men I know.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you write with such kindness and visions of gentleness in your way of thinking about people

kent homchick said...

Kent

Tiny Dancer said...

Anon -- thanks for your very kind words. I really like people.

Kent -- I owe you an email and anon could have been describing how I think about you! Thanks for being my friend all these years!