Friday, September 18, 2009

A New Year

For me, the year is shaped like a wave. The bottom of the wave is when school starts. It moves up in an arch. The top of the wave is January 1st. Then the wave gracefully falls toward the sand, the end of the school year.


In other words, the year starts in September, ends in June, then you spend the summer playing at the beach.

Today, at sundown, Rosh Hashanah, begins. It seems so right to me that the new year starts now. New clothes and a new pink pearl eraser signaled beginnings to me more than champagne and "Auld Lang Syne." I am not Jewish and this isn't a holiday I celebrate, but I grew up in a neighborhood where many of my friends and classmates did. I always thought theirs was the better calendar!

So, even if this isn't the beginning of your new year, may you find peace and prosperity in the coming months... "for a good year."

2 comments:

Susan said...

It is also Talk Like a Pirate Day today. Which seems fortuitous, no?

No?

Okay, maybe not.

Unknown said...

Happy New Year, Tiny!!!!