Sunday, October 24, 2010

My Big Bold Bodacious Birthday Bash

hey, I like alliteration!

Next January is a decade birthday for me. I don't want to be that number, but I'm really ok with who I am, how I feel, where I am in my life. All that is ok. The number just bothers me. I said that to a customer service person at one of my credit cards and he said, "Hey, 30's not bad." He's right. 30 wasn't bad. In fact, most years have been good for me. A few in the last decade I would gladly have slept through or not experienced what I did, but hey, in life ya get good with bad and hope joy out weighs the troubles.

But this whole birthday thing has been on my mind since this summer. I talked with a friend from high school, born the same year, and her response was, "It took you a long time to get there, why not take a long time to celebrate?" A new concept. One I have taken to heart!

The day of my birth is this magical day for me. My 19th birthday -- I was in college -- was amazing (obviously since i can still remember the entire day). I took a final in my Theatre Design Class; walked into town to my favorite boutique and bought a wondrous pair of pants; watched a drama class production of This Property is Condemned, staged on the railroad tracks; received a dozen yellow roses from my Nana; and topped it all off with a party given by my friends in the theatre department. Magical.

It was the first birthday I was living away from my family and the first time I really did exactly what I wanted -- well, maybe not the final exam, but I loved that class so it was alright.

Since then I have always given myself permission to enjoy the day and do things just for me. I like having a January birthday. When my kids were little I would take a week in January to go walkabout. I've gone antiquing all over Southern California. I went to Cape Cod one year when I wanted snow and cold and an excuse to do nothing but sit inside and have a fire in the fireplace.

So to make next year about the adventures and the experiences and not about the number, I am going to celebrate all year. I can't afford to travel the whole year, but I plan to do something special each season. I have trips planned for January & July -- Winter and Summer, and some ideas for Spring and Autumn. I like the way this is being set up, I am looking forward to the year and not dreading it! I'm also going to document my year. Take more photos, keep a creative journal, blog about it all.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

That is a wonderful way to look at it!